Monday, January 18, 2010

I Am to Burn Eternally

So now I read it Оля! And I thought instead of writing a fb message or an email to you about it I could post it here, since you read the blog anyway and in case someone else is interested... ;)

I like the naming of the topics for each chapter. I like how painful and passionate and human the emotions are and the sharp contrast it creates with the mathematical precision and industrial efficiency that permeates this 26th century society. I like that the chapters are short so it's easy to keep on reading past midnight... And I like the mathematical symbolism and how directly it affects the political philosophy and ethics throughout the novel!

Here's more for the interested: We, by Yevgeny Zamyatin (completed in 1921, thought to be the inspiration to Nineteen Eighty-Four and Brave New World!).

2 comments:

Himmelske Danser said...

My name in russian =)) And - your's book cover is better =)
And, serious, I'm glad that you like it, I thought you would! It was the darkest time when this book was written and I can't believe he did it, because it's like sign your own death sentence. And now, everything is just after this book!
And you wrote a noce and clever review on it, really shows everything =)

Fridolina said...

Yep! Of course, now when I learnt it! ;) Yes! I read something about it in the introduction, very courageous of a Russian author at that time! And a very cool book! Thanks! ;)