Wednesday, December 15, 2010

15

Life has been some combination of fairy-tale coincidence and joie de vivre and shocks of beauty together with some hurtful self-questioning.




Sylvia är Sylvia och vi älskar henne, okej? Bakom lucka femton finns hennes The Bell Jar. Läs den! Läs sedan hennes dagböcker och hennes poesi. Det var allt jag hade att säga idag. Nu tänkte jag citatbomba er. (Citaten är från The Bell Jar, dagböckerna och hennes diktsamlingar. Jag äger ingen av dessa (snyft!) och har därför googlat fram allt.)

"I didn't know shorthand either.
This meant I couldn't get a good job after college. My mother kept telling me nobody wanted a plain English major. But an English major who knew shorthand would be something else again. Everybody would want her. She would be in demand among all the up-and-coming young men and she would transcribe letter after thrilling letter.
The trouble was, I hated the idea of serving men in any way. I wanted to dictate my own thrilling letters."

"I saw my life branching out before me like the green fig tree in the story. From the tip of every branch, like a fat purple fig, a wonderful future beckoned and winked. One fig was a husband and a happy home and children, and another fig was a famous poet and another fig was a brilliant professor, and another fig was Ee Gee, the amazing editor, and another fig was Europe and Africa and South America, and another fig was Constantin and Socrates and Attila and a pack of other lovers with queer names and offbeat professions, and another fig was an Olympic lady crew champion, and beyond and above these figs were many more figs I couldn't quite make out. I saw myself sitting in the crotch of this fig tree, starving to death, just because I couldn't make up my mind which of the figs I would choose. I wanted each and every one of them, but choosing one meant losing all the rest, and, as I sat there, unable to decide, the figs began to wrinkle and go black, and, one by one, they plopped to the ground at my feet."

"So I began to think maybe it was true that when you were married and had children it was like being brainwashed, and afterward you went about as numb as a slave in a totalitarian state."

"I took a deep breath and listened to the old brag of my heart. I am, I am, I am."

"Let me live, love and say it well in good sentences."

"There must be quite a few things that a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them."

"I was supposed to be having the time of my life."

"What did my fingers do before they held him?
What did my heart do, with its love?"

"I don’t care about anyone, and the feeling is quite obviously mutual."

"Yes, my consuming desire is to mingle with road crews, sailors and soldiers, barroom regulars—to be a part of a scene, anonymous, listening, recording—all this is spoiled by the fact that I am a girl, a female always supposedly in danger of assault and battery. My consuming interest in men and their lives is often misconstrued as a desire to seduce them, or as an invitation to intimacy. Yes, God, I want to talk to everybody as deeply as I can. I want to be able to sleep in an open field, to travel west, to walk freely at night..."

"I collected men with interesting names. I already knew a Socrates. He was tall and ugly and intellectual and the son of some big Greek movie producer in Hollywood, but also a Catholic, which ruined it for both of us."

"I want to write because I have the urge to excel in one medium of translation and expression of life. I can't be satisfied with the colossal job of merely living. Oh, no, I must order life in sonnets and sestinas and provide a verbal reflector for my 60-watt lighted head."

"I’ll never speak to God again."

"Every woman adores a Fascist,
The boot in the face, the brute
Brute heart of a brute like you"

"Out of the ash I rise with my red hair
and I eat men like air."

"Life was not to be sitting in hot amorphic leisure in my backyard idly writing or not writing, as the spirit moved me. It was, instead, running madly, in a crowded schedule, in a squirrel cage of busy people. Working, living, dancing, dreaming, talking, kissing- singing, laughing, learning."

"So much working, reading, living to do! A lifetime is not long enough."

2 comments:

Himmelske Danser said...

I love it!
Excellent, seriously! I've never read any of her books."shame on me" She goes in the list of "What I must read"... Jeez, I'm envy her, amazing style!

Fridolina said...

Yes, please do! She's fantastic!!