Monday, December 21, 2015

Ouch

"All time in the world couldn't turn that girl into something more attractive. And I don't think there's anything on this earth that will convince her to like me. I saw the look on her face. She'll never have me. Not in a hundred years. [...] And it's just as well. Save us both a world of hurt. I can't abide plain, Pinky, you know that. I like to be entertained, and to all appearances Miss Anne Lesley is as dull and unentertaining as a house wren, and it's clear that she already hates me."
- The Scandal Before Christmas, Elizabeth Essex

Miss Anne Lesley står förstås bakom hörnet och hör allt han säger om henne. Varför är jag så förtjust i det här? Som i Julia Quinns The Viscount Who Loved Me när Anthony Bridgerton säger något i stil med "of course people are staring - it's not often a man such as I dances with a woman such as you" (ja, to her face t.o.m. den arroganta jäveln). Serena är rätt elak mot Solomon i A Lily Among Thorns också (hoppsan jag skulle ju blogga om den - den är awesome). Ja och så har vi ju förstås Mr. Fitzwilliam she is tolerable but not handsome enough to tempt me Darcy. LOVE IT. 

Det är hursomhelst en stor utmaning att börja en romance med en förolämpning såhär - och sedan övertyga läsaren om Happily Ever After. Essex får godkänt - det är dessutom en novell så ganska skickligt av henne.

No comments: