Wednesday, May 06, 2015

Glitterland

En recension om dagen hörni, I'm on a roll! Det här är en bok jag velat läsa länge så jag blev glad när jag såg att den fanns på bibban som e-bok.


Goodreads-recensionerna är lyriska och visst låter det spännande?:

Once the golden boy of the English literary scene, now a clinically depressed writer of pulp crime fiction, Ash Winters has given up on love, hope, happiness, and—most of all—himself. He lives his life between the cycles of his illness, haunted by the ghosts of other people’s expectations.

Then a chance encounter at a stag party throws him into the arms of Essex boy Darian Taylor, an aspiring model who lives in a world of hair gel, fake tans, and fashion shows. By his own admission, Darian isn’t the crispest lettuce in the fridge, but he cooks a mean cottage pie and makes Ash laugh, reminding him of what it’s like to step beyond the boundaries of anxiety.

But Ash has been living in his own shadow for so long that he can’t see past the glitter to the light. Can a man who doesn’t trust himself ever trust in happiness? And how can a man who doesn’t believe in happiness ever fight for his own?


Det är en ovanlig romance eftersom den berättas helt från Ash's perspektiv. Den handlar lika mycket om förhållandet mellan Darian och Ash som den handlar om hur Ash ser på framtiden och hur han lever med sin sjukdom.

" Whatever the internal mechanism that moderated the human capacity for joy, mine had long been broken beyond repair. And I knew this was a poor substitute, a base shadow cast on the cave wall, a reflection in a tarnished mirror of ordinary things like happiness, love, and hope. But there were moments, fleeting moments, lost in the responses of my body to his, when it was almost enough. And, God, I wanted, I wanted. These crumbs of bliss. "

I början undrade jag om det här perspektivet skulle leda till att Darian hamnar i rollen som Manic Pixie Dream Girl - ni vet, att han är där bara för att lära Ash älska livet och carpe diem osv. Som tur blir det inte alls så. Ash är visserligen sjukt självcentrerad och gör sitt bästa för att trivialisera förhållandet men de här är saker som har väldigt mycket att göra med hans självförakt och som han måste lära sig att överkomma för att kunna börja tro på framtiden (och ett förhållande).

Jag fnittrade högt (!) och blev till och med lite tårögd på ställen och jag rekommenderar varmt åt alla som tycker att den där beskrivningen låter intressant.

    "I gotta say, babes," he said in a nasal Essex whine, "you're giving me sutcha bedroom look."
    I stared down into his face, so close to mine. Babes? And, dear God, that accent.
    "Well," I heard myself say, "play your cards right and I might consent to do more than look."
    "Omigod, you talk like the Queen."
    I blinked. "Pardon?"
    "Are you in parliament?"
    I had the feeling I'd lost control of the conversation. "What? No. I'm a writer."
    "Omigod, really?" He sounded both impressed and bewildered, as if I'd said I went fishing on the moon.

 (Kolla t.ex. Amy Childs för genuin Essexaccent!)

No comments: